Assignment – Fill out some sentence stems for describing and planning soundscapes.
Working – Spent lots of time planning; so many things to consider before even recording the first thing!
Ideas for a template to describe sound
The place I am trying to create an acoustic portrait of are the stages of transportation.
Use of theory/other practitioners
I want to emulate Gary Heckler’s work when creating the sounds of horses in the Foley room. https://vimeo.com/11436985
Recording plan (tentative)
1. 5 minutes of general sound bed of outdoors, nature – Zoom
2. 10 seconds of slow footsteps – Sennheiser K6
3. 5 seconds of footsteps speeding up – Sennheiser K6
4. 8 seconds of running footsteps and breath – Sennheiser K6
5. 7 seconds of horse trotting – Sennheiser K6
6. 6 seconds of wheels of covered wagon – Sennheiser K6
7. 6 seconds of train – Zoom
8. 6 seconds of car – Zoom
9. 6 seconds of plane? – Zoom or iPhone
10. 10 seconds of relaxing room tone, light Muzak – Zoom
Reflection – Will make changes after recording and editing first version after seeing what works and what doesn’t. The template was extremely helpful for someone who is new to creating purposeful soundscapes.